The AACR Gertrude B. Elion Cancer Research Award is funded by the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) together with GlaxoSmithKline to support tenure-eligible junior faculty. The research proposed for funding must focus on cancer etiology, diagnosis, treatment, or prevention and may be basic, translational, or clinical in nature. At the start of the grant term on July 1, 2023, applicants must:
- Have a doctoral degree (including PhD, MD, MD/PhD, or equivalent) in a related field and not currently be a candidate for a further doctoral degree.
- Hold a tenure-eligible appointment (or equivalent, if institution does not follow a tenure system) at the rank of assistant professor (appointments such as research assistant professor, adjunct assistant professor, assistant professor research track, visiting professor, or instructor are not eligible. Applicants cannot be tenured or under consideration for a tenured academic position at the time of the application. Applicants that have progressed to associate professor appointments are also not eligible.)
- If eligibility is based on a future position, the position must be confirmed at the time of application, and CANNOT be contingent upon receiving this grant.
- If the future position is at a different institution than the applicant’s current institution, the applicant must contact the AACR’s Scientific Review and Grants Administration Department (AACR’s SRGA) at email@example.com before submitting their application for information on additional verification materials/signatures that may be required.
- Have completed their most recent doctoral degree within the past 11 years (i.e., degree cannot have been conferred before July 1, 2012; the formal date of receipt of doctoral degree is the date the degree was conferred, as indicated on their diploma and/or transcript)
- Applicants with a medical degree must have completed their most recent doctoral degree or medical residency (or equivalent) - whichever date is later - within the past 11 years.
- Work at an academic, medical, or research institution anywhere in the world
- Be members of AACR
The Award provides 75,000 USD for 1 year for salaries + benefits and/or non-personnel expenses, (no indirect expenses).
Applications are due on January 26, 2023.
January 26, 2023